DISQUIET and Summer Literary Seminars are proud to announce the SLS-DISQUIET Literary Contest!
In addition to prizes sponsored by Guernica, Fence Magazine, Ninth Letter, and the esteemed Graywolf Press, winners of this year’s contest will be offered tuition, airfare, and accommodations to attend DISQUIET in 2015.
Contest winners in the categories of fiction, poetry, and non fiction will have their winning work published in North America’s leading publications. Additionally, they will win a full fellowship (airfare, tuition, and housing included) to the 2015 DISQUIET International Program in Lisbon, Portugal. (Note that prizes and fellowships cannot be applied to the 4-day SLS MTL workshop.)
The winner of the Graywolf Prize for the best novel excerpt of an emerging writer (you must have published no more than two novels) will receive full tuition for the 2015 DISQUIET International Program in Lisbon, Portugal, as well as publication on the Graywolf website. (All qualifying entries automatically considered, please note that you have published two or less novels in the body of your email.)
The winner of the Arkadii Dragomoshchenko Prize for Innovative Poetry will receive free tuition for the 2015 SLS Residencies program in Lithuania, as well as publication online. Full details here.
The winner of the Sutzkever Prize will receive free tuition for the 2015 SLS Residencies program in Lithuania, as well as publication online. Full details here.
The complete guidelines for the 2015 contest are as follows:
Deadline: FEBRUARY 10, 2015
- All entries will automatically be considered for the Graywolf, Arkadii Dragomoshchenko, and Sutzkever prizes, depending on content.
- Eligibility: Only previously unpublished work in English can be submitted. We accept entries from all ages and countries.
- All entries should be in a standard type face and 12pt font and, if emailed, attached in .pdf, .doc or .rtf format.
- For fiction: ONE short story or novel excerpt, maximum 20 (double-spaced) pages per entry.** NOTE: To qualify for the Graywolf Prize, you must have published no more than two novels (or none at all). Note in your subject line that you are submitting a novel excerpt.
- For non fiction: ONE piece of non fiction, maximum 20 (double-spaced) pages per entry.
- For poetry: No more than THREE poems per entry, up to 10 pages total.
- Entrants may submit to any or all categories more than once; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own entry fee.
- In your subject line, please include your name and type of submission (short story, novel excerpt, poetry, non fiction, Sutzkever prize etc) eg. Jane Smith – Poetry
- Include your complete contact information (name, address, telephone, email address) on a cover page of the manuscript.
- Winners will be notified by late March 2015.
- Previous first place winners may not re-enter in the same genre.
Scroll to the bottom of this page to enter and pay the fee via Paypal. A $17 US reading fee must accompany each entry. Multiple entries are permissible, as long as they are accompanied by separate reading fees.