The 2021 DISQUIET Prize is now open for submissions. Contest winners in the categories of fiction, poetry, and non-fiction will have their winning work published in North America’s leading publications: fiction in Granta.com, poetry in The Common, and non-fiction in NinthLetter.com.
If circumstances permit, one grand prize winner will receive a full fellowship (airfare stipend, tuition, and housing included) to the 2021 DISQUIET International Program in Lisbon, Portugal. In the event the 2021 Lisbon program can’t be held due to coronavirus restrictions, genre and grand prize winners can choose to delay the prize trip to a future year or accept a substitute cash prize of $1,000 each.
The complete guidelines for the 2021 contest are as follows:
EXTENDED Deadline: January 22, 2021
- Eligibility: Only previously unpublished work in English can be submitted. We accept entries from all ages 18 and over and all countries, by authors who have not yet published more than one book.
- Entries should be the work of a single author.
- All entries should be in a standard typeface and 12pt font and in .pdf, .doc or .odt format.
- For fiction: ONE short story or novel excerpt, maximum 25 (double-spaced) pages per entry.
- For non-fiction: ONE piece of non-fiction, maximum 25 (double-spaced) pages per entry.
- For poetry: No more than SIX poems per entry, up to 10 pages total.
- Entrants may submit to any or all categories more than once; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own entry fee.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please notify us immediately if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
- In the Submittable submission form, please include your name and type of submission (short story, novel excerpt, poetry, non fiction, etc.)
- Include your complete contact information (name, address, telephone, email address) in the Submittable form.
- Winners will be notified around March 2021.
- Previous first place winners may not re-enter in the same genre.
Visit our Submittable page to enter and pay the fee via Paypal. A $15 US reading fee must accompany each entry.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org